GEORGES ARTEMOFF (1892-1965)
Ouriupinsk, Russia, 1892 - Revel, 1965
Georges Artemoff started to study arts in his birth region, and moved in 1909 to Moscow to complete his training in painting and sculpture. There he discovered the Chtchoukine collection and obtained a grant for further artistic education in Paris, where he arrived in 1913. Welcomed by his fellow citizen Ossip Zadkine, the two men shared a studio and gathered with the artists of the Montparnasse neighborhood. Staying away from the cubists of this time, he’d rather get inspiration from his native culture. He drew portraits, painted decor for theater and cinemas, sculpted.
The expressionists features that his paintings bears made his renown, but his sculpted panels are what brought him to the decorative arts world of the 1930’s. Artemoff often exhibited among the artists, designers and decorators of the Société des Artistes Décorateurs, and from 1927 he became one of the Groupe des Animaliers who displayed their art at Edgar Brandt gallery. In 1932, the French Republic bought one of his sculptures and is now exhibited at the Centre Georges Pompidou. After the war, he developed a very singular way of painting, merging shapes and colors in a very personal way.