MAX INGRAND (1908-1969)
Max Ingrand is one of the most famous French master glassmakers of the 20th century. He studied at the École nationale des arts décoratifs and entered Jacques Gruber's workshop in 1927. In 1931, he pursues a solo career as a master glassmaker decorator and creates numerous decorations in engraved glass. He created the stained glass windows of the church of Sainte-Agnès de Maisons-Alfort. In 1937, he took part in the project for the stained-glass windows of the nave of Notre-Dame de Paris, presented in the pontifical pavilion of the Exhibition. After the Second World War, he became one of the most active glassmakers on the reconstruction sites where he notably created the monumental ensemble of the church of Yvetot. The Department of Historic Monuments entrusted him with prestigious projects such as the cathedrals of Rouen, Beauvais, Saint-Malo and Strasbourg, the chapels of the castles of Blois, Amboise and Chenonceau, the churches of La-Charité-sur-Loire and the Jacobins in Toulouse. Later, his fame earned him important orders abroad. For three years, he was artistic director of the Italian firm Fontana-Arte, for which he created numerous lighting fixtures. He took part in the decoration of liners including the Normandy and France and created luminous fountains, notably for the Champs-Élysées. At the end of his life, he turned to interior design and lighting and died in 1969.