CHANA ORLOFF (1888 - 1968)
Lady with a fan, 1920
Bronze with brown patina
The model from 1920, the present cast is a post mortem edition from Susse foundeur
Signed « Ch. Orloff » and numbered 7/8
Stamped with the foundry stamp and the inscriptions Susse Fondeur Paris on the back
Certificate of authenticity delivered by Chana Orloff Comity
OriginPrivate collection, Paris.
HistoryThis sculpture is a portrait of Yvanna Le Maistre, a religious painter born in Petrograd and married to a French artist. Her representation by Chana Orloff is lofty, elegant and emblematic of the exiled Russian community in Paris. Combining volumes sculptured through hollows and bumps, linear plots and round projections, this synthetic work is without a doubt one of the undisputed masterpiece of Chana Orloff. From the supple swaying of the hips to the graceful inclination of the shoulders, the harmony of the body is plenary. Sometimes frivolous details, like the range, barely drawn in semi-relief on the chest, give the sculpture a symbolic weight that is decidedly intrinsic to Yvanna Le Maistre.
Admiring the sculpture may remind one of a phrase Brancusi once said « It is not the external form which is real but the essence of things ».
Exhibitions1935 Exposition particulière, Musée de Tel Aviv.
1963 Exposition particulière, Galerie Granoff, Paris.
1969 Exposition particulière, Musée de Tel Aviv.
1935 Exposition particulère, Hatzrif Art Gallery, Beersheva.
1987 Les Maîtres du bronze, Bagatelle, Paris.
1988 Kikoïne, Yankel, Chana Orloff, Musée Bourdelle, Paris.
1992 Chana Orloff, Musée Municipal de Boulogne-Billancourt.
1994 Chana Orloff, Line and Substance, Open Museums, Tefen, Israël.
BibliographySculptures in Bronze and Wood by Chana Orloff, Vanity Fair, Sept. 1921.
Robert Rey, Les Portraits sculptés de Mme. Chana Orloff, Art et décoration 1922.
Haïm Gamzou, Chana Orloff, Éditions Massada, Tel Aviv, 1951.
Ernest Namenyi, Chana Orloff, Musée Rodin, 1956.
Félix Marcilhac, Chana Orloff, Les Éditions de l’Amateur, Paris, 1991, referenced under the n°39, p. 210 et 211 of the catalog raisonné and reproduced in photograph (wood) p. 44 and 45.